Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) — Black Friday sales advanced 0.5 percent from a year earlier as discounts on televisions, toys and computers drew budget-conscious crowds across the U.S., according to ShopperTrak RCT Corp.
Sales for the day after the Thanksgiving holiday rose to $10.7 billion, the Chicago-based research firm said yesterday in a statement. That compared with a 3 percent gain to $10.6 billion on Black Friday last year, a “surprisingly strong” result before economic turmoil dragged down sales for the rest of the holiday season, ShopperTrak said.
Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the world’s largest retailer, attracted consumers with $298 Hewlett-Packard laptop computers and other specials that went on sale at 5 a.m. Best Buy Inc., the biggest electronics chain, used $547.99 42-inch Samsung flat-panel TVs to lure shoppers grappling with the highest unemployment in 26 years. The retailer had bigger early-morning crowds than last year, Chief Executive Officer Brian Dunn said.
- Raising Money Requires a Great Pitch: Here’s How
- How to close an angel round
- 7 WordPress Plugins You Ought to Know About
- 8 Websites You Need to Stop Building – The Oatmeal
- Watch Y Combinator’s Founder Discuss What It’s Like to Be at a StartUp
- Killing good ideas can harm your future (via coinnovative.com)
- 10 Things Learned From Launching a Company in a Recession
- Try to Top This Innovation — Students Bet on Their Grades
- SEO: Past Present and Future
- Billy Joel on Entrepreneurism? | Knowledgewebb.net
- Connect thru LinkedIn
- Example of How to Divide You Equity At Start-Up
- Free Project Management Software: Basecamp
- Get A Free Copy of "Mastering the Innovation Funnel – Helpful Tips for Developing New Products"
- Industry analysis: Porter's 5 Forces
- JOTT – best personal organizer I've come across
- Leadership Tips You Can Use: Carly Fiorina
- PEST Analysis: Understanding the Broader Environment
- Product Development and Management Association
- SERIOUS ABOUT NEW PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT? VISIT MY WEBSITE
- Sun Tzu's Art of War (principles are relevant to innovation!)
- SWOT Analysis Tools